Tuesday, September 21, 2010

OWB: Writing Rules

Like the many lists of rules I've managed to come with these past few years, I'm laying one down for my writing.

Rule #1: Write it down immediately. This goes for both snippets of thoughts randomly conjured (the purpose of the free-notes notebook) and blogging about a new experience. Since it has happened 3 nights ago the excitement of Saturday's Nitro night are starting to wear off, and hence the accompanying motivation to write about it and possibly any creative juice I could squeeze into writing it as well. So the next time I come across a new experience, I'll set a date with a drafting board.

Rule #2: Read, read, read. This comes naturally to me that I don't even have to say it to myself, but what I'll be doing is laying down some corollary rules. Like what type of stuff to read. Instead of spending my time playing Civilizations (thank God the last obsession ended with the realization that my current empire sucks), I will read the newspaper more. Maybe not the entertainment sections, but more of those articles that needed writing talent in it's creation. Opinions and essays. I just saw bloggers' collection of other blogs, and I'll make it a point to browse through those as well. Read more, watch less. Lessen distractions and other stuff that can add noise to my already noisy mind.

Rule #3: Proofread! Careless mistakes and run-on sentences are always present in my writing. I will be more conscientious in my writing that I will edit it. Since most of my blogs are basically just draft qualities, I could probably let slip fixing sentence constructions. But I shall at least give them a once over and correct typos. For more serious pieces I shall proofread them more. At least in terms of typos, I should be perfect.

Perhaps I should make a tier of my writing qualities, like draft-quality blogposts such as these, then medium-quality narrative posts for experiences that will require more editing, and portfolio-level essays that will need serious editing and polishing. Yeah, I think I will do that.

With that the foundations of my rules for writing are established. Tomorrow perhaps I could practice my narrative blogging after watching RiB. The past few days have been boring, with the only ray of sunshine being Kits starting to reply once again with an equal casting of a shadow with the start of waiting for A-SoG's reply to my application for internship.

When i get a column of my own some day, I'll name it Past Midnight, because apparently my writing happens after 12mn.

No comments: