Sunday, September 19, 2010

Operation Writer's Block

First title that came to mind. This is my attempt to make myself a good, or dare I hope, I great writer. And like any other discipline, I will become better at it with practice, and so this is the point of this post. This is the first step of that thousand mile journey, the first few strides of my training for the marathon. If I want to become a writer, I will have to write (or type).

Like any well-executed military operation Writers Block begins with an assessment of my strengths, a study of my capabilities, a review of procedures; a recon mission if you will. And so I have browsed, to whatever point I deemed was relevant for me at this point, several chapters of my underused book Writer's Express, which was actually helpful. i got several ideas by which to train and practice with. Second, I have reread my past works, at least the contents of this blog. I will have to schedule reviewing my written works tomorrow. Rereading my previous entries have told me one thing. Yeah, without a doubt, I am a good writer.

But beyond that narcissistic proclamation of natural ability and affirmation of my God-given talents, that exercise has shown me where I would start, where my strength lies. My writing strength comes from free writing, that unfiltered collision of my thoughts and the keyboard. This is where my wit is revealed, when I don't try to control it. I have noticed, before the unfortunate events of that crappy year that is 2008, that I wrote often, and I wrote freely. My tone was light and my writing voice conversational (which I could tell is not how I am writing now so that is something I am trying to gain back). I was just like talking to my blog. But when 2008 hit, my entries became infrequent and heavy. It was emotional and dark, and it seemed like all entries after that are serious and grave in tone, like I'm trying to explain something carefully. It went from random narratives to deep philosophical dissections of my distressed emotional psyche. The spontaneity disappeared; posts were heavily edited, and wit and sarcasm all but gone.

I think the better writing style of mine was before 2008, when I still could create witty turns of phrases and novel ways of telling the story. And I know it is so because when I recall writing those pieces like Worms of the Heart or Tough Shoes I did it without minimal editing, like it came naturally. But after heartbreak 2008, when I try writing something I remember being so serious, writing and rewriting even the first sentence just trying to get it perfectly.

That's why this post feels like it just runs on, like a Kelvin talking after having 5 cups of coffee. It's because this is a free write, I'm typing everything that comes to mind. I'm trying to break free from that habit I developed of screening my thought and carefully crafting my sentences. I'm not letting myself stop typing, hoping that eventually I will unclog that mental dam that was created from the rubble that 2008 caused and what is now blocking my perfectly fine and entertainingly sarcastic stream of consciousness. I must get him back, that guy that can write oh so naturally.

So what now dear blog? What's the plan? I have already identified my free writing notebook as well as a handy-dandy free-notes notebook for traveling. I have made a date with the Writers Express book for writing some practice articles. But to get ol' conversational writer back I will need practice, so I guess that will be here. I will return to blogging about my random days and fun experiences. This will be my daily stretching of my writing muscles. Can I do it? Will I be able to do it? I hope so. But this I say, Operation Writer's Block has begun, and it will be awesome.

Expect more mundane posts, returning here soon.

No comments: