Friday, June 29, 2007

Interview with a DS Major

I'm seriously starting to regret my committing to alot of things. This afternoon seems to be a foreshadowing of things to come. My CRC meeting clashed with Gawad General Assembly and apparently the cheer rally, all of which I wanted to attend. CRC took priority of being the first. Now it seems schedules will be swamping me throughout the year. I guess I'll have to pick up the technique of "picking which battles to fight" or I'll seriously get smothered by extracurriculars. Losing focus on my academics is something I can't afford to do.

It was a rather interesting time in the CRC meeting. By the way CRC stands for Coral Reefs Champions, the volunteer arm of the Institute of Social Order. I participated in their seminar in Camarines last October. Apparently it wasn't a one time stint. Now were called the "core volunteers" that will spearhead the next stage of ISO-CRC operations (Or that's what I understood our job description will be). It seems we'll be taking on a task bigger than ourselves. We were talking about ISO operations in Quezon, Camarines Norte and Camarines Sur, different NGO tie-ups, meeting with local volunteers and fund-raising activities. Daunting as I see it, but rewarding. I might get to see Camarines again and more.

I was surprised that, of all the other volunteers for CRC might be, the ones there were a bunch of DS majors. There were 8 of us, Ate Jaya, Kuya Lemarc, Mikey and me, the ones who went to Camarines last year and 4 other DS majors. I was surprised to know that they had served with ISO already and that they are more active than we are. Our Camarines stay was only 3 days. 2 of them stayed for a month.

I haven't really had much contact with the DS family. I'm more in touch with the ES majors with all my environmental affairs. Now I get to meet a bunch of them in the least likely place I would expect. It's great to meet them and all, but with that my distinction of being the only DS-ES cross (to my knowledge) is lost. I'm not unique anymore again. Haha.

No comments: