Tuesday, May 15, 2007

300 ways to kill boredom

I
just like to share an insight I had lately. I have been watching 300
over and over again (yes, that exaggeratedly awesome movie involving
300 Spartans and 10,000 abs), studying battle scenes and combat
choreography just because I had nothing better to do. Now to me this is
one if not the best movie I've ever watched, and its not just because
of jaw-dropping visual effects and fantastic moves. It, if you watch
carefully and look past the towering mountains of men they call those
hunks of abs with legs, also incorporate elements of a good story and
fantastic film I got to know from Literature class, Movie review
lessons and Reflection essay writing from Sir Serrano. Now I don't like
to go into a lecture, but to me this film is deeper than the man-gore
fest it appears to be.

One aspect of this film people
criticize is the presence of hideously deformed or mutant people, like
the hunchback traitor Ephialtes and the monster-like Immortals (seen
when a mask was knocked off). I've defended that this doesn't really
affect the story, but now I've gotten a better defense.One is that they
are symbolisms, caricatures of characters deformed by their corruption
(like the corrupt Priests of the Oracle or the Immortals). The better
one I have is that you will notice that parts of the movie are narrated
by the Spartan Leonidas sends home, Dilios I think his name was.
Regardless also note that this narration is the recollection of events,
events that he tells to the Spartan army before their charge at the
end. Now, recalling Sir Serrano's lesson about memory; memory takes
alot of artistic freedom. It can be affected by emotions and is
entirely subject to the interpretation of the person doing the
recalling. You get where I'm going with this?

The battle itself
is the narration of events as seen by Dilios, and therefore through
this narrative exaggerations like 1 Spartan pawns 10,000 Persians and
frightful enemies can be introduced without destroying the realism and
relative historical accuracy of the movie.

Lolz, applications of lessons, I never knew I'd see the day.

No comments: