Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Noisy night and a wedding the morning after

So it was about 1 am in the morning when I heard something in our backyard. Sounded like the muffled thud of an indian mango falling, which is common since we have a mango tree in the yard, unless it falls on the roof and makes a racket louder than a gunshot. It sounded normal until I heard the flowing water. That was weird, and I first thought our dog or that falling mango knocked over a basin. Problem with that is that the sound continued longer than it should have if it was a fallen basin.

Then I thought the creek broke through. See, our backyard wall literally keeps back a creek behind our house, and last year that wall broke and let in flood waters that destroyed our neighbors house. Can't be that, since the creek wasn't swollen from the rains. And yet that gurgling flowing sound continued. I tried shining a flashlight into the backyard but can't see anything. Then the thought crossed my mind that someone could be there.

That was unlikely, because my dog wasn't barking. But since they raised the creek wall almost to the level of our own wall, it's become a danger because it makes our backyard technically accessible, hence why we're paying to put some barbed wire to keep people out, but that's not until tomorrow.

So I got up, grabbed my arnis stick, and went out to check. I put on the lights as I went through the house, then carefully opened the door to the backyard, then I looked around.

And there it was. A faucet burst. And it was gushing water. I went back in woke up my dad and went out the front to put off the water main from there.

Surreal experience to walk out at past 1 am holding a stick to shut off the water main.

Well, that was my night. In the morning we were to go out to my cousin's wedding, which is the Cainta municipal hall. It the first civil wedding I've been to, so the experience is worth sharing. Too bad I didn't bring my camera, I seem to always forget that I own one.

In the solar oven they call an auditorium there were a dozen or couples, with 200 or so relatives. Mayor Mon Ilagan was the presider, much to my amusement. He presided the wedding like how Edu Manzano hosts Game ka na ba, or how a parent hosts a children's party - with oddly placed (and corny) jokes in between the ceremony. The couples did their part, doing things the Mayor can joke about like looking around instead of staring down their partners while saying their vows. While that's happening photographers -i.e family members with cellphones and digicams were swarming the couples, even going in between them to get a closeup.

After a short ceremony, everybody was rejoicing - finally beside they can come out of that hotbox they call a building. And so ended my adventure of the week. Yeo, this is as exciting as it gets during summer in my life.

No comments: