Thursday, January 08, 2009

The Top 9 Places on My Travel List

Only 9 because I can’t think of a tenth. I have this thing of “not going with the crowd”. I don’t like ‘popular’ and ‘famous’ things that generate hype and masses of fans around them, like the way I don’t like Twilight and Harry Potter, and like have no excitement at going to a place like Boracay. One because there are a lot of people there, and because I want to see the hidden splendours of the world, the ones only a few people know about, especially the natural ones. So the places on my list are not exactly the popular tourist destinations.

Though there are many places I want to go and visit, these 9 places are the only ones that I have this weird unexplainable feeling of being compelled to go to.



1. Hall of Mirrors. Château de Versailles. France

I was enchanted when I first saw and heard about the Hall of Mirrors, and actually now I can’t remember why. It was some years ago, and when I look at pictures of it now I can’t remember the reason why I wanted to see it so badly. Maybe because it’s in France, the one country I’ve loved to go to, and its setting in history during the old times of royalty and nobility. It keeps the top spot in my list for the reason that it was the first place I actually put on my list.


Not exactly on my list, but since we are in France, might as well visit the Millau Bridge. World’s Tallest Vehicular Bride, slightly taller than the Eiffel Tower. Must have incredible views; I’d love the chance to walk through it. Sorry, no Eiffel Tower for me.


2. Iguazu Falls. Border of Brazil and Argentina.

Breathtaking Falls. Everyone Talks of Niagara Falls. Iguazu makes the Niagara look like an overflowing bathtub. Even Eleanor Roosevelt was even reportedly to have exclaimed "Poor Niagara!" at the sight of it.


And since we are comparing a US landmark to a Brazilian one, might as well throw in there the Itaipu Dam, another place I’d like to see since I’d be in the neigborhood anyway. Hoover dam? Please. If you wanna say dam, go and check out Itaipu


3. The Graduate Institute. Geneva. Switzerland

Hehe. New addition. When I attended the talk regarding the further studies opportunity presented by the Graduate Institute, I was twitching in excitement. It combined all the things I wanted and loved to do; go to Europe, learn French, and study Development Studies. Not to mention the campus has the awesome view of Lake Geneva, and Switzerland is home to the Alps and gives a springboard to travel to other parts of Europe, taking a Masters in the Graduate Institute definitely became an opportunity I’m looking forward to.




(View of Lake Geneva)

4. Rome. Italy.

Probably the only ‘truly’ tourist destination in my list. What can I say, Rome is just that awesome. I’d like to go there because the Romans had that mentality I think highly of where they capture splendor in sculptures, statues and monuments that defy time. The Colosseum, Circus Maximus, the Trevi fountain. They had the right idea of capturing magnificence. I love to see cities adorned by monuments and grand iconic structures. It gives you that feeling of grandeur. Think Lord of the Rings.. See, we don’t have that in the Philippines, or most of the World nowadays for that matter.



(Trevi Fountain)


Only other place that I would like to visit that has that 'grand feeling' would be Rio de Janeiro with the statue of Christ the Redeemer overlooking the city. Awesome statue with equally awesome location. I'd like to see it, but not in this list because I don't have that feeling of being compelled to


5. Kremlin. Moscow. Russia.

Everybody wants to go the USA. I ask why? I wanna go to Russia - mostly just because everybody wants to go to the US. I want to go and stand on Red Square and see the Kremlin. You hear people say Washington or the White House as a synonym for the US government in high politics. That’s supposed to be intimidating, a house that practically stands as a symbol for racism? (Well not now since Obama is there) Now take the Kremlin; seat of the government of Russia, the power that challenged the United States, a fortress, with a name that’s intimidating by itself. See, beside the Kremlin stands St. Basil’s Cathedral, a church, distinct in the skyline through its onion shaped domes. Now what’s distinct in the skyline of the US capital? A giant phallic symbol. I’d also like to see a Russian Military parade.

(Red Square, with Kremlin to the right)




(St. Basil's Cathedral)

6. The Aurora.
Not a particular place by itself, because the Auroras manifest in the skies above the polar latitudes. I want to just find a place where I can just lay there and watch it. Stargazing made even better. It’s hard to believe these images are real.






7. Plitvice Lakes. Croatia

I bet you haven’t heard of this place. The Plitvice Lakes are a series of lakes interconnected by spectacular waterfalls. The lakes are renowned for their distinctive colours, ranging from azure to green, grey or blue. The colours change constantly depending on the quantity of minerals or organisms in the water and the angle of sunlight. Breath taking I would imagine.



8. Catatumbo river at Lake Maracaibo. Venezuela



Also another place I bet you haven’t heard. The Catatumbo River is home to Venezuela’s Everlasting Storm, an almost permanent lightning storm, 160 nights a year, 10 hours a night, and as many as 280 times an hour. It’s even called the Maracaibo Beacon as light has been used for navigation by ships for ages. Because it can be seen up to 400 km away. I wanna find a spot and just watch it all night. I wonder if there is any thunder.




9. New Zealand



Because that is where Lord of the Rings and Narnia was filmed! And if you don’t know, the landscape is just breathtaking. And of course, there aren’t many people in New Zealand.




(Set from the Lord of The Rings)

No comments: